Looking back at my resolutions for the last year, how did I do?
What I said I would do was:
- Keep writing.
- Take more pictures of people.
- Develop my collection of Peeps.
- Share my pictures more.
- Avoid GAS – I already have more cameras and lenses than fit into a single bag I could carry.
- Get my older negatives and slides organised and catalogued.
- Get the Kiev fixed (don’t ask).
- Sell off the stuff I don’t use.
- Vegetables for all (world peas).
- Make more mistakes, so I can learn.
More to the point, what are the things I intended to not do?
- Give up.
- Eat creme caramel.
- Wear flares.
- Stop trying to find a hat I look good in. It may be a Trumpian double negative, but as they often say round these parts “Ee, tha looks a bugger in that’at”.
- Break cameras.
And then, what did I actually do?
- Kept writing. A new post every week. Yay!
- Probable fail – I just don’t do street photography or portraiture. I much prefer people engaged in activities, and I haven’t been to many of the right sort of events. I did take pictures of people diving though, where previously it would have only been fish.
- Another fail. Somehow I just don’t have the time to print pictures. I did send a load out for printing, so perhaps not a total fail.
- I only really share pictures on this blog. I would rather use pictures as illustrations than just show them for their own sake.
- Oh dear! I was doing really well, and then I bought a box of cameras.
- Not too bad. I dug a load of negatives out of filing envelopes and put them in filing sleeves, then ‘contact printed’ them with a dSLR and a lightbox. So I now have a better idea of where the old pictures are and how to find one amongst them.
- Yep. I sold off a bunch of stuff and feel much better for it. Especially as it let me buy replacement stuff.
- I did this one wholesale.
And as for the things I said I would do less of:
- Still going.
- Damn right! I even got rid of some old pairs of jeans with suspiciously wide legs.
- Still looking though.
- Fail. Perhaps because I insist on using them?
So what would I change from this list or resolve to do this year? What is my 2020 vision?
- It may be time to shut down theostry.com. Any fans of Sir Pterry want a relevant domain name?
- Keep writing. Who needs an audience when I’m getting all this therapy?
- Find more opportunities to take pictures of people engaged in interesting activities.
- Get the Kiev fixed.
- Sell the gear I don’t need or use.
- Keep trying for a good hat.
- Try being more sociable.
- Try developing colour film.
- Make fewer mistakes.
- Scan-in more of the archive of negatives and slides.
And something I read in a “how to attract more readers” article – I’ll cut the punning titles and try just saying what the post is about.
There you go – that’s my 2020. What about you?